UNS4 Encryption Layer, now that's something

«That's somethin'.»

That's what the woman pilot in Ace Combat 7 (Strider 4), Húxiān, has to say when it comes to doing the job I want.

Apparently in the encryption that uses XOR (exclusive OR) method to encrypt the files, especially the XFBIN files I want to preview in Noesis or Zealot's UNS Model Editor, there's also a layer of encryption that makes them still unreadable. It is, however, extracted and decrypted, but another layer of encryption blocks it, displaying the same message like the post I made earlier. The contents? File header is mentioned "CRILAYLA".

I perhaps missed the thing I want to do so to get these goddamn files decrypted, so the "CRILAYLA" became the search keyword for Google. Despite the fact that I missed something when reading, there I found some crazy-ass links to someone on Twitter or somewhere else. I also rechecked the ZenHax forum, where I did found the BMS file for CPK Unpacker beside CriPakTools.

A post by makc_ar somehow being missed to read, so I checked it out in his own forum thread. Apparently someone last year has made something that can decrypt what's inside the CPK itself. And the code was quite promising (the header, specifically) since the game was made collaboratively with CyberConnect2, on what I heard on Steam Forums is a small (?) company in Japan (??) that once being a pioneer of the UNS games.

I'm gonna have a shot trying this one; it's a curiosity for myself to say that, if folks like yuniwii, michaeluzumaki123, and TheSpeedForce (TheFuumaSage) can, everybody, including I, can. But... how those folks gather them are different, either using the old method with Ninja Ripper, or today when you have sufficient tools to download on the Internet, with the right keyword. I'm pulling out the raw files from this game without running the game. You know what I'm sayin'?


I don't even know why I'm doing this, though. Perhaps because of being inspired by TheSpeedForce (TheFuumaSage), but that being my first impression on doing this. Another is that yuniwii also made some Naruto ped models (dunno the story how he can get his hands on some raw models and made it playable as a mod on San Andreas), as well as michaeluzumaki123 on GTAInside. Tiring, of course, but for me, I do this for free. You never see me made my mods paid, or even asking for donation. Those who made the mods paid are for some reason, either respecting the author or want to financially help to continue making new mods. Not that I mention them they're jerkwads (sorry for my English), but I know several reasons of it. And if I want to support them of being a mod user, I have a debit card (shame that I can't do international payments despite my card has MasterCard logo on it) and don't want to create a PayPal account.

But then again, this is something I want to make a change, because I'm tired of waiting for Naruto ped models to be used in GTA, and I've seen too many Naruto-based mods in GTA San Andreas; greater than GTA IV (10 or maybe 20?) and GTA V (3 or 6 from what I found on GTA5-Mods.com). The tools I need are already in my disposal, and the rest is all up to me.

Let's see if this "encryption problem" like I'm dealing with a WannaCry encrypted file can be solved, so I can share it to you guys who's going to mod out from this UNS series or games in the future.

Comments