So that's the trick...

After I played Ace Combat 7 online for some time now until... shoot, I can't realize it's already an hour after midnight... I discovered what caused the model lighting/environmental bug on both Boruto and Sarada I tested a few months back, as you can see in both videos (where I tested Boruto ped mod at that time) I uploaded below:





Watch closely on uppr_diff_000_a_uni. The lighting bug on Boruto/Sarada ped model is sourced from the bump map. I mean, what? How?

I decided to dug deep into its UV mapping, and this is the result.



I mean... holy cow, WHAT? Sounds to me like, either CyberConnect2 or BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment (both great Japanese companies who made the NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 a reality) had textured this model in a very, VERY, simple design. I had a run in with this simple texture design with old San Andreas mods long time ago (for example, a project I was working on, the Naruto GXT Packet Chara and Jutsu CLEO). Both GTA IV and GTA V have introduced bump map and specular map to make the model look alive and feels like in a perfect 3D world of video game. But unfortunately, applying bump map and specular map on Boruto/Sarada model, the one that I've finished rigging as a public beta, can make the lighting worse than it should be in the original game. You know what I'm sayin'?

You can tell the difference by comparing the UNS4 model textures with the real life model textures like ig_bankman or ig_beverly with OpenIV. Both have different complexity; UNS4 model feature simple texture design with complex UV mapping, while real life model feature either complex or simple texture design with either complex or simple UV mapping, depending on the cases and situations.

Watch the first video, so you'll get the point.

The cause was not likely from the environmental lighting; it's either bump map, specular map, or both that're screwing up the model lighting/casting. I'm not even kidding about this one.

Now it's became clear that the case like TheFuumaSage's Naruto model doesn't have any bump maps or specular maps, because it is indeed a simple texture design. Although, I have a question about NewCreation's Kakashi model, which (surprisingly) does have bump map and specular map, but doesn't cause model lighting bug.

This is indeed something that I need to address in due time. Bump mapping on a simple texture design can corrupt the model lighting, which turned out to look ugly. The only way to do this is to remove bump mapping and specular mapping (if it is also corrupting the model lighting).



So, removing the bump map on Boruto ped model solves the problem. The question left is now the specular/environment map. I wonder if specular/environment map can also cause the model lighting bug like the bump map. It's about process of elimination - trial and error, is what I'd like to say.

Anyway, Mitsuki model is not done yet on rigging. I'll be back on this one after I finished rigging Mitsuki, which I doubt this gonna take a lot more time than usual, if not for my gaming addict, for sure (but I'm still a sane person with a lil' abnormal psychology, not a sicko or psycho one).

Comments