Skeleton (re)designing and somehow I screwed up BF2 installation


Well, modifying the skeleton to match the finger orientation isn't really the best idea to go on, actually. That's what I thought after watching the Zagor.TV's tutorial video once again. Hitler model was left as it is, with no changes on its skeleton it was using. He just only have to copy mesh weight from source model to destination model. Pretty much simple as it is, though.

However, faulty mesh from my public beta ped mod I created was really sourced from the highly edited skeleton, of which the fingers are involved. The finger bones have been heavily modified to match the finger orientation, since for some reason, models exported in OBJ format have some non-welded vertices, which when I reposition a vertex, another vertex that isn't welded won't follow.

It could be best if I used the same skeleton set from avenxares213's Dante ped mod, but I won't be touching the finger bones. Had to say, one of the reasons there's a faulty mesh on a model wasn't always from the model itself, but can be a skeleton it was used. Unedited (original) skeleton set can cause model glitch, and that will not look too good on your eyes. Believe me.

This can be a different story if I model weapons or cars with ZM3. I believe there's a tutorial on YouTube about how to make the weapon really alive when in game, but if it mentions ZModeler 3, I'll take my chances, then.


So today, I tried to install BF2 patches, but somehow, it's installed right to the BFHD installation. What? I have the frickin' fresh and untouched installation of BF2, how does it installed in BFHD?

I knew the damage has been done with it, and I decided to uninstall BFHD. Unfortunately, BF2 uninstaller refuses to run after I uninstalled BFHD. Somehow, the installer linked with the last installation of BF2, of which the registry is involved, replacing the data. At least I still have some backup at the laptop and my old PC at the apartment, although... had to be frank, the HDD workload when loading a 64-sized map is too goddamn heavy. And it also got problems with BIOS and date/time settings.

Since the original BF2 uninstaller is borked, I decided to remove the installation it using CCleaner (there's an option to delete the installed programs, where you can uninstall it manually - no programs involved) and clean up the PC and registry while at it.

Guess what, installing BF2 and BFHD can be a bad idea, especially if your BF2 installation is still fresh and vanilla, 1.0.

So, I'll reinstall the BFHD and put the Heat of Battle in it. The author did mention that it also works on BFHD, but I forgot what else - might as well check back the Heat of Battle ModDB page again.

Comments