I discovered what caused BF2 to crash (because of add-ons and data editing)

So, jerking around with BF2 mods again after I tried to find out "what in the world that caused this sh*t", I found one interesting thing that caused BF2 to stop loading and crashes while loading Objects. This is only one issue I found out, and I'm examining the US kits.

BF4 Incendiary grenade. I tried to play around with the item index two weeks ago and changed its position to 8th one to match up with the Real Wars mod released in ModDB. At this point idk what caused the game to refuse loading this grenade even though I set it up at the 8th position and assigned it correctly. Something else is interfering with the loading process, of which I have no idea where to look to.



At this point, the grenade is beyond unusable unless if I'm changing something within its code inside the corresponding *.tweak file. Idk if this will gonna work, but if this small change (at the Help section where it was said "bf4_incendiary" instead of "ushgr_m67") caused the crash, then it's a must to change it.



Actually, the fact is that the tweak file is glitched out because it was edited too many times. Even resetting (restoring by hand) can't solve the problem.

Okay, something's new coming up. Weapon upgrades seemed to be screwing itself. I've tried using BF2SP exe file and something happened when switching out weapon sets (upgrades). I have no idea how this is happening despite changes have been made.

I'm trying this out on an old computer; this should not happen, not until the incendiary grenade was removed from the item index 8.

Actually, it was memory problem; the computer's RAM is too low, so probably it loads default stuff, or probably I've edited and saved the file too many times, so that it has weird results. The EU kits are experiencing problems; which weapon that causes was unknown, but if it's because of the upgrades, it will be removed (removing ability to upgrade for EU Changed to use US Kit Unlocks).

XPack has problems that I can't go figure; maybe I should remodel the tweaks again from the scratch and see if that works out.

New update: new customized ammo and medic kits from BFBC2... they aren't compatible if made new (so it had to be customized inside the XPack Objects itself without any changes - including new 92FS pistol animations where possible). Even though it's fixed, it still crashes when restored by hand (remake the from scratch).

One of the weapons crashed the game when I'm going to fire; I've checked the data and everything was fine (no idea what caused it this time).

I may gonna will update this as I'm doing more fixes to the "server" ZIP files, finding out which files that caused this unexplained anomaly because there's no debugging in this game. (It's almost done - time to move the sh*t over to BF2RW.)

After that... weapons adjusting and damage control; make it that all add-on weapons damage balanced - not too high, and not too low (somewhere in the stable balance with BF4 damage setting based on caliber or BF2 preset damages).

Comments