Into the Skin Modding

So, since I haven't yet going back to do the project again, and the license for ZM3 was bought but not used, I'm going down into a skin modding. A lot of people, including SkylineGTRFreak (SkylineGTRR34Freak on YouTube), have been designing skin mods for Ace Combat 7, and turns out, this is an image manipulation modding that have been practiced since this game was built, but only a handful of people know that before it was shared worldwide.

superostrich is one of the modding pioneers of Ace Combat 7 (he's also sharing tutorials with some folks like Dantofu), and currently it supports only skin (cosmetic) modding, which is an image manipulation by swapping one image with another and then forcing the game to prioritize loading it first after it's packed (usually in *.pak, where a game engine like Unreal Engine can load).

Tell you what, a lot of folks have published skin mods, which some I like to have it on, some don't. Ever wonder why Trigger's Mage, Spare, and Strider skins use the same skin/schema as blank Osea? Some folks have already made a random variety out of this modding "exploit", and several feature different schema rather than having the same schema across all Trigger's skins.

So far, I found none of the skin mods that feature air force realism, but lore-friendly (yeah, I've been seeing lots of GTA mods with "lore-friendly" tag on it); all skin sets are based on a mix between USAF style and fictional style, where on an aircraft's tail, an emblem is placed before the bort number, and there's a flag above the tailcode of the plane. European- and Russian-made planes are having this set.

I've learned the basics, set up Python to use latest version, and managed to get a small pack of handmade skins loaded into the game just right. Glad that I still have my skills in CorelDRAW, otherwise I'm having a trouble skinning the plane to what I want.

I'm still thinking about the first batch of skins I'm gonna plan, and I have appropriate tools to do the trick, including HxD Hex Editor program thanks to Tormunds. Damn... it's been a while since I left NS:UNS4; I've missed pure duels between several characters there.

Some of the WIP screens are uploaded to my Steam profile. Take a look.




This batch of skin mod will feature both pinup (Boruto images, yeah, why not?) and no pinup versions, so you can choose the no pinup version if you don't like Boruto and wants to have a lore-friendly realism on your plane skins, or a pinup version if you like to show those Erusean pilots that Boruto is coming to kick their asses (typically, if you like Boruto: Naruto Next Generations and want to feature some random images on the wing of your favorite plane). I'm gonna start customizing Trigger emblem too, so my mod will have its own variety compared to the others that use the same skin set.

Do note that this is a WIP project that is undergoing its first batch making by myself and uses the emblem featured by USAF (such as Air Combat Command) since I can't find any lore emblems similar to what USAF featured (however some like 5th Fighter Wing are there, but it doesn't fit with squadron resemblance of which squadron assigned to specific division/fighter wing).


I might gonna start a new modding possibility, now with the tutorials and tools I gathered since I found a helpful website by superostrich that makes modding possible to everyone. But you know what, I've started this since yesterday, and it's fun. Likewise, I have NexusMods account since the day I want to download some mods for Fallout games, so public release once everything set up will be easy.

More updates to this mod will be coming soon. Stay tuned.

Comments