New ASUS laptop, Ubuntu "shim-signed-error", and posting "Lost and Found" on Facebook

Few weeks back my father gave me a new laptop as a replacement of the lost one. Since he last used it, I don't mind if there are minor problems and such, yet I'm already used to my usual activities on the Windows 10 already. Still, there is an unknown error that makes the Explorer restarts itself whenever you right-click on a folder on the left-hand side of the Explorer screen.

I have a hunch, though, that the lost laptop because of being stolen was not sourced to the girl-stealer who just admitted stole my money, but someone else, although seriously, they had accused her beforehand since she last visited my home.

So, I set up my laptop to install everything I need, including Office and some games to test with. I also used the USB DVD drive to install Ubuntu OS next to the already placed Windows 10 OS (since this ASUS laptop I have now doesn't have CD/DVD reader/writer in it, unlike the previous one).

Tell you what, I have stories with electronic devices lost in my time of life. My brother lost a cellphone when he was a junior high. My mom lost her smartphone when she was at the mall few months ago - all the contacts she had was lost. The serious one is mine, where I had lost my laptop since last month. Who stole it? No one knows, because I'm a sometimes-forgotten-kind-of guy and there were no proof on whoever stealing it.


So my new ASUS laptop here currently experience difficulty on installing Ubuntu updates as I discovered "shim-signed-error" that the package named "shim" is faulting every time the bash command is inputted correctly. I've tried changing server, extracting manually on Windows via 7-Zip and copying to the system files, nothing. Even after reboot.

Fortunately, I can hook up Google for some solutions, as well as installing things I need whenever I start up Ubuntu instead of Windows. There's a solution where I need to install package dependency to properly install "shim" without messing up boot order files or even reinstalling as the guy I found posting this solution do.

After this fix, it's like the all-new Ubuntu again, without any network problems like last time since it was used for networking purposes.


Okay, idk if I'm doing it today or tomorrow, but I'm gonna post the lost laptop over my Facebook and/or Google+ page(s), see if people can react over it. There's some data I need to recover and my laptop has an identifiable signature: the Naruto sticker on the laptop lid. It was lost like a month ago and idk whether somebody can found it. But let's hope it will, since my parents have already known about the lost laptop. Probably was stolen when I was half asleep. And even though parents judged that the girl-stealer stole it, I have a hunch that it would be someone else, since she never touched my bag when she came over (at least on my point of view).


Well, my laptop is set up for things I really wanted to see more than the old one, although my old works are lost. I just gonna need to think something to set up like it once was, like the Delphi 7 with kits for DB programming.

Comments