Windows 8/10 evaluation with Flaming Cliffs 2 game

Months ago I had to reinstall my laptop because of the antivirus issue. Now I am using the one that I used on my desktop computer, the AVG. I chose this because I did install this on the old computer, and I'd say, it's performing protection well and doesn't take lots of resources to fire up the UI (when it comes to the laptop).

Now I tried to reinstall the FC2 game and the results were similar with the one I did on Windows 8.1 OS, about 2 years ago. Firing up the registration interface (the protect.exe application that you can found in "bin\x86\stable" directory) to activate the program comes up with an internal error which I cannot track where. A reason saying "Close all applications and try again" means there must be an application running on the background that interferes the registration interface. Even though I did a restart on the computer, none came to a fix, despite the fact that I can install GTA IV with Windows Vista SP2 compatibility on Windows 10. Ain't that weird?

Now what I tried to figure out is that "it can't be installed, but can when after OS upgrade - it can be installed, but can't when after OS upgrade". About a year ago I did an upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (not the latest one released by Microsoft: Windows 10 Anniversary) and everything is reversed: registration interface for LO:FC2 works with no errors, but it cannot install GTA IV (not EFLC) although it used any compatibility checks.

My evaluation is that my laptop's system has some incompatibility with older games which worked on Windows 7, but some system may compatible. I'd say that future Windows version (8, 8.1, 10) still has some instabilities with some computers, including my laptop. Here is a reason why the C-Net (computer network lesson) teacher worried much about this OS as it may produce IP address loss during process (Windows 8, according to him, is a total failure; it produces complete IP address loss). I'd rather stick to Windows 7 instead, although deskanime.net already released new Naruto theme destined for Windows 10 Anniversary OS (Win10 RS1), and the Windows 10 Logon Background Changer currently do not support it.

So now I'm running an assessment. Any of you experiencing the event I did with my laptop and Windows 10 OS when installing LockOn: Flaming Cliffs 2?

Please note that the assessment only includes that app and GTA IV only, not with others (such as DCS: A-10C). I may gonna collect the reports as my reference to decide which OS should be fit for the new computer I'll gonna buy soon.

Comments