Phone scam avoidance

The only access I got while my debit card is blocked until I get a new one is via Internet Banking. Glad that it uses strong password and stored conventionally in a book that I used in high school to monitor "bad behaviors" I've done.

Primarily, tech support scam I watched on YouTube are usually done via telephone, most likely target the handheld phones (smartphones and cellphones, if anyone is still using it). This is indeed the most common tactic of a scam if the victim is unaware of the situation. Victim sees a webpage that seemed like "you have a Zeus virus", or "this computer is locked due to the spyware" bullsh*t and all that, and requested to call the number of the call center that was displayed on screen. Truth is, your computer is alright, for God's sake; there's no virus unless you explicitly download some shady sh*t on the Internet that who knows what. I've learned how that tactic works, and some folks like Deeveeaar, ScammerRevolts, Leo Takacs, Jim Browning, etc., are doing this not only for fun and research, but also to prevent more tech support scams to happen to innocents.

My country (Indonesia) is no different than this kind of cruelty of this scam. This is most likely known as the telephone scam (fraud, as I may seem), where the scammer said that you won a prize or some sh*t like that and asked for either bank account or debit/credit card credentials. My parents know everything about these scams, and only me in my life who got caught into the scammer's trap. I should have stopped saying, "should have waited", but... what's done is done. The debit card I used was blocked upon request and I'll have to get a new one. I once failed a scam by telling the scammer that I don't have any card or whatsoever (others, if I remember, handled by my mom), but this time, it's round 3 (maybe 4 or 5 already?) and I have lost. So much for 3.5 mil savings. I'm ready for round 3, but not sure if I can win this time, or I'll have this matter handed over to my parents. It's a high-risk, high-reward. If the scammer lost, he or she won't get any money from the victim.

Apparently, the scammer changed the phone number as soon as I tried to contact this guy that I have his recording. Probably a one-time used SIM card, since registration now require users to assign an ID card number to prevent more telephone numbers from being abused, but still, this won't hold back the phone scam.

There are tips and tricks to avoid telephone scams, apparently, and some YouTube videos also offered one or two about it. Could be a good use to prevent one in the future since I lost on this round. Guess the lesson my parents taught at me was worth the price I get on return, and hear this, sounds like this doesn't relate to my naughty events I've done in the past, a payback for what I have done, but this is something else. Something that questions my conscience. Could it be, while I'm gaming, and I'm fully focused to the game, the scammer has already convinced me? You know, many reasons tell me that I should keep gaming instead of hearing this rumbling guy talking for quite a long time just to ask my card credentials. I lost my desire of gaming for two days because of this, and hearing that my dad said, "IT itil" (small-time IT engineer), yesterday I fully focused on searching literature reviews and updating base theories for my Final Project's proposal, on ScienceDirect. People will just straight hate that when old-timers consider IT engineers a small time, although for me, I have some experience with computers, but I'm not dedicated to programming. Instead, gaming, learning computer components, learning software usages, etc. (but not to program stuff at the high level) have becoming my dedication when it comes to computer. Hearing this makes me feel mad.


Anyway, enough with the story.

So, if you got an unknown phone call, remember these:
  • Identify phone number. Legitimate companies or banks have their own phone number. If you see the phone number that isn't from a company or a bank, eg. standard telephone or cellphone number, this can be a question whether it's a scam or your friend is calling on another number.
  • Identify the caller. Legitimate companies' or banks' operators talk with low and calm tone. Scammer talks otherwise, or at some point, imitate just like them with different tone than you may think it is. If the tone is a bit loud than it was supposed to be, it's a scam.
  • Check the legitimacy. Usually phone scammers offer you something like a prize or something that you won at the bank. Ensure that it's legit first by checking on the Internet, ask any experienced folks you know, or call on its contact center of the bank or company this scam start with.
  • DO NOT send any credentials if you are connected with the scammer. If you wish to prank, be sure to hand out anything fake like random names, card number, etc.
  • Say anything that forces the scammer to hang up the call. Let's say that you're a type of recording anything you sing on Instagram or Tik Tok. Say to the scammer, "this conversation is recorded". The scammer will, or at some point, will hang up the call. The craziest is that if you say on the phone, "I'm a police officer and I can trace this call", which make the scammer think twice before doing his/her scam. Note that this may or may not be working on some scammers.
  • If it is too good to be true, it isn't true. If you are really participated with an event to win a gift, ask that to the coordinator who organizes the event. If you don't, it's automatically a scam. Hang up the call before the scammer can do any damage to you.
  • Go to the point. Ask him/her what do he/she want. Identify and check the legitimacy. Remember that if it is too good to be true, it isn't true.
Indonesia is like a paradise of the telephone scam, but it doesn't cover the possibility that it can happen anywhere else in the world. Precautions are available, and I hope this can reach out to you foreigners who read my blog about life, gaming, and mod releases.

There's a donation link at the homepage of my blog. Any amount of money will be appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Comments